Pages

Sunday 2 June 2013

Ali 1.1 - The Flames of Maelforge

I am unkindly shaken from my dreams and it takes me a moment to realize the dampness, and the smell of ash and smoke in the air are not remnants of the dream.  Even as I wake there is a haziness that reaches the corners of my vision.

Helen Brass shakes me again. “I can’t believe your here, Alisandrian.  Hurry!  There could still be people alive in the next jail cell.”

I sit up slowly, but even still my head throbs.  “Jail cell?” I ask as my eyes light on the bared door.  Beyond it I see the well of Lantern Hook, which at least suggests the dampness of the stone floor I’m nestled on.
 



“I... but what?” I begin to ask, trying to understand, when a burst of flames shoots by our cage, followed by two servants of Maelforge.  I try and put the pieces together, but no matter how I place them in my mind I cannot.  “What happened?” I ask, standing as steadily as I can.  “What is going on?”

“Maelforge has consumed Telara, Ali.”  Helen says quietly as she pulls me towards the cell door.  “We’re all that is left.  There is still time though, if you can get out of here and defeat Maelforge before he burns Lantern Hook to the ground.”

“Me?” I ask stupidly, “You want me to do it?” 

She simply nods as she pushes me into the cell door.  Strangely it opens easily with only a slight click.

I go to the other jail cell and push on the cell door.  It comes away freely.  Puzzled, I walk inside and am further confused to find the cell empty.  I turn to leave and but an older man, a magician I believe, no not magician, a sorcerer, is standing behind me.  My fuzzy memory pushes the name Karkh Nistor to the forefront.

“Karkh, can you help me?” I ask him, and somehow it seems that I have known him, and he has known me, even though I cannot recall the time or place of our meeting.

He leads me to the entrance to the upper area of the Hook, but it is blocked by fire.  He seems to consider walking through it and then stops.  “If you can keep those dogs at bay, I shall set to dowsing the fires.”   He turns to them and breaths quickly, as if trying to blow out a small candle, not a raging flame from the plane of fire.

The flames are extinguished easily, and I place my hand to my head in confusion and pain.  Perhaps I got a concussion when the servants of Maelforge tossed us into that cell.  That could explain the pain and confusion.  The fuzziness creeps in around my vision again and I give my thoughts a quick shake.  A concussion would not explain the strangeness of what is happening.

The fuzziness recedes as another of Maelforge’s dogs come to prevent our entry.  As with Karkh, I remember this invader as if I had always known him.  Mister Opal, my memory persuades.

“Who dares defile the sacred flame?”  He shouts at Karkh.  “Die!!!”

Karkhl does as commanded and falls to the ground.

“You?!” He shouts at me as I come up the ramp.  “This is a blessed day.  All those years of tolerating your inferior presence and now I get the honor of tearing out your heart.”

I am confused, as always, when my right hand reaches across my body and pulls a blade from my belt.  I didn’t know I was armed.  With one quick slash Opal is defeated, consumed quickly by the flames.

I climb through the levels of Lantern Hook, dispatching Maelforge’s minions and his flames.  Unlike so many of the memories I am experiencing, I clearly remember Lantern Hook.  There is no haziness or confusion surrounding the city, only the flames.   I am not surprised there are no Telaran survivors here.  The flames consume every room, every place to hide.  Even still, as I walk to the top, I continue to blow out the flames, and dispatch the minions.  All live here is from the plane of fire. 

When at last I reach the outer ledge, the highest point I ever found it safe to climb to, I find Helen Brass waiting for me, head in her hands, already fading into dust.

“What happened?” I ask her again, wondering how she came to be here on this ledge.

“I couldn’t save them, everyone fell to the fire.” She says with accusation.  “Now you’re all that is left of Telara and Maelforge is coming to consume you as well.”

“But, I... “She cuts me off and her voice becomes stronger.  Her shape reforms from the dust she was becoming and she begins to run.

“Hurry, Please.  We must go now!  I know a place where we may be safe.”

Following her back down through Lantern Hook, I begin to hear screaming from all sides.    As I stop to look for the source of the distress, the flames fall down around me. 

“You punny Ascended cannot stop me!  Now you will die!”  A voice, deep and resonating, seems to emanate from the walls of the Hook itself, mixing with the sounds of the screams. 

I pull my attention away from locating the source of the screams and look up through the windows.  He cannot fit through the stone slats, but his fiery breath still rains down on me.

This fire cannot be extinguished with simple breaths.  I run for cover, hoping to reach the pool before I am unable to move for pain and burns.  Lower and lower I descend, and although I know Maelforge is not following me down into the Hook, his flames continue to chase me.  I reach the pool and dive for the water.

As I open my eyes below the watery shield I see the flames licking the stone roof, the intricately carved pillars.  The oil candles go up in balls of flames, the room is consumed, and I see nothing but red, orange, and blue flames as my vision becomes hazy.

But instead of blacking out, I sit up panting, gasping for breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment