Pages

Saturday 8 December 2012

6.01A - Cloudbourne Protection

Anneleigh walked through the quiet village until she came to Kain’s command at the far end of the settlement.  Though she was shivering with the cold and blowing snow, she remained out in the open to observe.  Kain was in conversation with his soldiers and she did not want him to see her in cover and think she eavesdropped on a private conversation.

“The work you’ve been doing here has not gone unnoticed.  Cyril himself has sent commendations, but I’ll dispense with the pleasantries.”

“That’s a lie.” Anneleigh thought with anger; her emotions temporarily heating her from within despite the cold.  “He’s manipulating them into continuing to work on his cause. “  She quieted her thoughts to listen to the rest of his speech.

“We are close to locating one of the largest remnants of Aedraxis yet.  I can feel it.  Once this remnant has been found, we can leave this Vigil-forsaken place. ” 

Kain’s sights fell on Anneleigh and he continued.  “That is all.  Back to your posts.”

The soldiers rose from their kneeling and moved through the snow to their positions.

“What did Borrin and Cyril have to say when you returned the Chain to Sanctum?”  Kain asked, calling her over and handing her a warm coat.  “Were they pleased?”

Anneleigh nodded, accepting the gear.  “They said top researchers would begin study as soon as possible and that I was to return to you, if that was your command.”  Anneleigh dropped her gaze and hoped he could not sense the lie of omission she was feeding him.

He rubbed his hands together as if just noticing a slight chill.  “The cold of this land will do little to cool my fury at those that would stand in the way of my Vigil-appointed duty!” he said.  “I am glad they are supportive at last.”  Kain paused for a moment, and then seemed to feel she was worthy of his confidence.  “Can you believe they nearly pulled my rank after Scarwood Reach was saved?  I received a missive from Cyril stating in no uncertain terms he thought that my search was clouding my judgement and preventing me from succeeding in my Sanctum appointed mission.”  He let out a loud laugh that was more like the bark of a dog.  “I told him I thought the Vigil’s command would pull rank over Sanctum’s, and he agreed, though, I’m not sure it was an honest agreement.”

Anneleigh forced a small smile and he smiled back, assuming her reaction was a show of agreement and support.

“I’m glad they allowed you to return.  My 12th guard is vast, but there are places it is easier to send a single able woman than it is an army.”  He turned his attention to a small cage behind him that Anneleigh had not noticed. 

“Nizmak,” He addressed the prisoner, “You and your group of redsnow trash are responsible for moving Remnants of Aedraxis out of Iron Pine Peak.”  The prisoner cowered and shook his head, but Kain took no notice and continued.  “Since you don’t want to tell us where you’ve been sending the remnants, I’ll just have to send one of my men into Frost Falls to wipe out your little outfit.”

“You Monster!” Nizmak shouted. “You wouldn’t dare!  I thought you Guardians had a sense of morality?!”

“I’ll let nothing get in the way of my destiny, Nizmak!  Especially not some worthless bandits.”  Kain replied.  He then took Anneleigh by the elbow and directed her inside, leaving Nizmak shouting his protests to the blowing snow.

“That bandit filth has seen fit to smuggle some of the remnants out of Iron Pine.” He said, as he handed her a warm mug and took one for himself.  “I need to know where they went!”

Anneleigh smiled.  “So you are not going to demolish his camp?”  She was relieved to find a piece of humanity and compassion remained. 

“I have their chief here, “Kain said, motioning towards the door, “but he has not seen fit to tell me what I need to know.  You will show him what it means to defy the will of the Gods.”

“You want me to go out and slaughter them?” Anneleigh asked tentatively.  To her surprise Kain laughed.  He seemed to be in surprising spirits at one minute and in a deep temper the next.

“You can bluff with an animal like Chief Nizmak.  I want you to leave the camp for a few hours.  He’ll likely believe I’ve made good on my word.”

Anneleigh nodded and stood to leave.  Unsure what to do with her time; she made her way across the bridge to the common area of Whitefall.  There she found a small bar with a warm fire and a lively conversation.  One conversation caught her ear; several men sat around a small table discussing a similar problem.  Each of their wives had gone missing.

She rose from her stool and approached their table.  “Excuse me.  I’m sorry, but I couldn’t help but over hear.  Maybe I can help.”

Two of the men remained quiet, but the youngest looked at her curiously.  After some time he motioned for her to sit down with them.  “Several nights ago, my wife, among others, went missing.  I went to bed with her by my side, and when I awoke, she was gone.”

The oldest man sighed. “A few nights ago while in the study, I heard my wife leave.  When she did not return that night, I figured she was visiting her new lover.”  Anneleigh blushed and looked at him in shock.  “Yes, I’m well aware she shares another’s bed.  It’s to be expected when taking a young wife, but she’s never been gone long. “

Anneleigh looked expectantly at the third man, a rather large fellow with a rather large Axe propped beside his chair.  When he did not speak the youngest gave him a short jab in the ribs.  “I was sitting by the fire when I heard her go out the door.  When she didn’t come back after a few hours, I grew worried and went to look for her.  Her tracks disappeared on the southern edge of town, and when I pressed on, I was assaulted by wolves.”

“Did any of you go for help?” Anneleigh asked in surprise.

They three men shook their heads sadly.  “The Icewatch is convinced that the wilds have already killed them.” The third man said.  “But I haven’t given up hope.  My wife has her Cloudbourne Ice Necklace.  We purchased one from Warrik Marsen the moment he described their effects.   She should be protected from harm.”

“Mine too”, “As does mine.” The other men said in unison.

“What foul magic could be at work that is stealing our loved ones from their homes?” asked the youngest man.

“I will do what I can.” Anneleigh said as she stood to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment