Pages

Saturday 1 December 2012

5.08A - Kain's Mission Complete

Anneleigh crouched beside the shaken prisoner.  He groaned and then looks up to see her.

“What.... What happened?”

“I believe Doctor Visek had kidnapped you and created his vessel around you.”

The prisoner cried out, not in pain but in distress.  “I remember now, yes.”  He puts his head in his hands and shakes his head.  The movement gives Anneleigh the impression of he is trying to shake off a horrible memory.  “I was the vessel; the souls of others have been trapped with me.  The shell of the gnarlbone was only an exterior.”

“They were not released when I freed you?”  Anneleigh asked. 

The prisoner shook his head.  “I feel them still with me.”

Anneleigh considered this.  She had hoped that, by killing the Gnarlbone, she would free the souls of the two deceased Mathosians and set this prisoner free.

“Kill me.” The prisoner whispered.  It is a request for mercy.  “Kill me and release us all.”

Anneleigh looked at the prisoner, a mixture of horror and sadness passing her face.  “I can’t do that.”

“I am dead already.” He said, as though it is a matter of fact, and not his own feelings.  “I will never be able to live the life I once did, knowing my fate was nearly eternity as Regulos’ vessel, knowing while I live the souls of my countrymen are tied to this world with me.”  He looked her in the eyes and took her hands.  “You’ve already freed me from my prison.  Better to die like this than as one of those things.  Kill me, and we all will be set free.”

She shook her hands out of his grip.  “But your life?  You live.  I cannot take your life.  You are innocent of any crime and do not deserve to die.  You may yet learn to live again.”

The prisoner cried out and shakes his head again.  “I can feel them, the souls of the two who were more fortunate.  They at least went quickly, relatively painlessly.   Please,” He begged, “kill me.”

Anneleigh slowly took her dagger from her belt, took his hands again, and prayed.  “Vigil, protect his soul.” She said, as she plunged the dagger into his heart.  At the moment her dagger pierced flesh there is a flash of light, the sound of air escaping, and the sound of more air rushing to fill the void.  She kept her attention on the dying prisoner.

“Thank you.” He whispered.

Once she was convinced the man was fully dead, she turned to see Kain standing on the raised dais, where Visek had stood only minutes before.  The contrasting image took her by surprise.  Startled, she quickly removed her dagger from the prisoner’s heart, but too late; Marshal Kain had already seen.

“Gods among us!  Anneleigh, I had no idea the corruption here would run so deep.”

“I....” Anneleigh began, “I can explain.”

Her explanation was not needed, as Kain continued.  “He was weak.  He asked to die rather than fight for life, and you granted his wish.  Soldiers who do not wish to live are better off dead at the hands of one of their superiors.”

Anneleigh resisted the urge to charge across the room and slap him.  “He was no soldier.  He was a civilian who deserved my protection, and I failed him.”  She said with venom in her voice, but he was no longer listening.

“I would have come sooner, but Visek had some kind of barrier in place that the Chain of Command could not pierce.”  He walked towards the third orb towards the back wall.  Anneleigh could now see it as a globe of sorts, fixed to the stand at its poles to spin freely.  Kain placed his hands on the globe and spun it gently.

“This is Mariel-Taun’s seal, but restoring it will be no easy task.  There is so much vileness staining this place.  Such evil.”  He spun the globe and remained silent for a few moments before he turned to look at her.  “You have done well here.  I do not know if the ancient seals can ever be fully restored, but with Doctor Visek gone, we can begin to purify this site. “

Anneleigh nodded.

“I will send for priests from Sanctum immediately.  They will work around the clock to cleanse the filth and stain of this abattoir and bring glory back to the honor of the Vigil.”

“What would you have me do next?”  Anneleigh asked. 

Kain looked to her, as if only just realizing she was still present.  Crossing the room to stand beside her in the prisoner’s pit, he lifts the Chain of Command from around her neck with a single finger.  “This Chain of Command we discovered is more powerful than we could have dreamed.  The least of its powers is the ability to communicate with people over great distances and even open portals to those locations.  Such magic belongs in Sanctum, and you are the only one I can entrust to see it there safely.  Do not fail me, Anneleigh.”

He appeared to focus for a moment and then a portal appeared, glowing brightly in the darkness of the cavern.

“Give this to Borrin, and then join me in Whitefall Stepps.  The Vigil directs me continue there.  The Chain will be able to send you to Command when you are ready.”  

Anneleigh tries to speak her protest, but she can tell from the look on his face that Kain would not accept an excuse in this matter.  She nods to him before silently walking through the portal, immerging in the throne room of the Sanctum of the Vigil.

If Borrin, Shyla, and Cyril were expecting her, they hid it well.  The look of surprise when she entered the room was enough to make her chuckle.  Then a broad smile broke out on Borrin’s face.

“Ah Anneleigh, you have the Chain of Command!  Keeping this safe within the Sanctum will keep it out of evil hands.”

She handed the chain to him as Cyril continued.  “Rest assured that we will begin to study this with the utmost priority.  It must be researched.  We will have some of our top men looking at it immediately.”

Anneleigh nodded.  “Before it is put under lock and key, Kain has commanded me to join him in Whitefall.  He said this would bring me there.”

The three Guardian leaders looked at each other, concern crossing their faces.  Anneleigh turned away for a moment, understanding they required a moment to converse alone.  It was Shyla who spoke first. 

“If the Vigil is directing him, as he has reported, then we must abide their bidding.”

“But we must also ask a task from you, Anneleigh.” Cyril continued.  “It is above Kain’s reach to demand this Chain be used, no matter the reasons.  We will send you to him, on the condition you watch him for warning signs.”

“Warning signs for what?” Anneleigh asked.

“He’s been acting strangely since beginning his own crusade, overstepping his rank.”  Borrin said.  “Go to his aid, as he requested, but be aware.”

Borrin focused for a moment and a portal formed, snow blowing through the newly formed opening.  Anneleigh, still puzzled by their request, walked through to Iron Pine Peak.

No comments:

Post a Comment