Pages

Sunday 21 April 2013

7.3A - The 12th Guard

Clark was waiting for her when she arrived at camp.  He received the trinkets, a look of mourning on his face.

“It pains me that Lev Nevok and Dravko Skeda are no longer with us.  Yet, it is better that they died a true death, than to have joined the same undead they spent their life fighting.”  He said.

Anneleigh lead the captain into his tent, wanting to share the best, and the worst, of her story for when they were alone. 

“I was unable to reach Dravko before he turned.”  Anneleigh said.  “He fell on the spike as he tried to attack me.  Though I would not begrudge him this; His mind was not his own.”


“And of Lev?”  Clark asked, moving forward in his seat.

“Lev...” Anneleigh said with a smile that would not leave her lips.  “...was a true Mathosian Knight to the very end.”

She recounted the story of his bravery and sacrifice.

Clark began to pace the room.  “Their brothers and sisters in the Order of Mathos will pray for their souls.  I will not tell them of Dravko’s turn, but I will see to it that Lev is granted a knighthood.   His decendants will be called sir, and it is all because you allowed him to prove his loyalty till his dying breath.”

“He did that without my assistance, captain.  He was ready to fall on the spike the moment I held it out to him.” But she left it at that.

Clark stood and led Anneleigh outside again.  “You have struck a blow for the liberation of Stillmoor!” He said to her.  Then turned to the company and shouted above the working noise.  “Let the Endless Court know that their unholy lackeys will not be tolerated within our borders.  A new day dawns in Stillmoor!”  The company around them burst into cheers and applause.

“Anneleigh, Donal Sumptor has sent us a request for your help.  I’d hoped to organize an expedition into the Eye of Regulos, but he asked specifically for you.”

“Kain’s Steward?” Anneleigh asked just to confirm she’d heard the name correctly.

She made her way to Thalin Tor, a crumbling ruin of what once must have been a beautiful manor home, and found Donal in a small camp set up outside the home’s perimeter wall.

“Donal,” Anneleigh said as she approached.  “Why are you here in Stillmoor?  Where is Kain?”

“My lord Marshal Kain is in dire trouble!”  Donal said in alarm.  “His crusade to collect these damned Remnants of Aedraxis has clouded his mind, and now I fear his very soul is at risk.  He abandoned the 12th Guard in Iron Pine and set off on his own.  Some of us followed him here into Stillmoor to save him from himself before it’s too late.”

Anneleigh nodded.  “And what is their report?  Where are they now?”

“That is the trouble.” Donal said.  “Some of his closest officers spread out to look for him, but none have reported back.  I fear the worst, Anneleigh.  Please find them.  I am so worried about my lord.  I know many Guardians have never favored Marshal Kain, but he has given up so much in the name of the Vigil and deserves better than this.”

He sent her off in the direction they had last seen the officers.  Before too long she came upon a wounded soldier.

“Sir Kazimir?” Anneleigh asked as she handed him her water skin.  He took it and had his fill before speaking.

“Thank you, madam.  I thought to never see a friendly face again.”

“I found the Marshal,” he said, “but I fear he is lost to us.”

“What happened?” Anneleigh asked, as she took Kazimir under the arm and helped him to his feet.

“When I came upon Marshal Kain, he and the traitor Alsbeth were quarreling.  She laughed and welcomed him to stand at her side, and he slapped her for saying such things but did no more than that.”

“Well that’s good, isn’t it?” Anneleigh asked, confused.  “The Marshal turned her away.”

Kazimir shook his head.  “He then turned to depart and saw me watching.  He only paused a moment and said not a word to me.  Then he walked past and left me to Alsbeth’s minions.”   He removed her hand from his arm.  “Do not worry for me.  Return to Thalin Tor and tell the others what I saw.  I can get out of here on my own.”

“But Sir Issak, you said it yourself.  He slapped Alsbeth for suggesting such nonsense!  Maybe Captain Ledisko, Dame Levitia, and Sir Martyn will report news that can shed some light on this strangeness.”

No comments:

Post a Comment