Pages

Saturday 30 March 2013

7.02a - Lady Burlingham

“That was amazing, Anneleigh.  I must admit, I was completely overwhelmed by the grace of the Messenger of the Vigil. “said one of the guards as Anneleigh rose to her feet.  “I’m honored to have taken part in the summoning.”

One of the guards took a family seal from his body, looked it over, and, with his eyes downcast, handed it to another man.

“What? What is it?” said the guard, turning over the crest.  His face blanched.  “...but bears the name of Kerkosa.  Yes and here is our crest.  It... it must have been Obrid.  I would not have recognized him.”  The man studied the prisoner.  “Well, he deserves what he gets.  A lickspittle to the corrupt court of Mathosia does not deserve mercy.”

“What will happen to him?”  Anneleigh said, motioning to the prisoner.

“Now that he’s talking, our scribes will quickly draw up a report on what he has to say.”

“And a plan can be drafted?” Anneleigh asked.

“And a plan can be drafted.”  Clark Stamp echoed behind her.  “But we have one last job for you to do before we set off on that campaign.”

He took her arm and led her away.  “I am thankful to have an ally who can defeat the Endless Court’s soldiers so handily.  For their loyalty, the Mathosian Champions and Men-At-Arms were promised the “gift” of vampirism.  Too bad for them, they won’t live long enough to collect.”

“Vamprisim?” Anneleigh said with shock.  “I’ve only encountered that darkness once.  It was the work of the Hag, in Gloamwood.  Although,” Anneleigh thought for a moment, “it turned out it was Alsbeth all along.”

“It seems as though she has brought the curse to the people of Burlingham.  The Order of Mathos know when fighting the undead, there is always the risk of infection.  Customarily, our infected die gloriously in battle, or by their own hand.”  Anneleigh nodded, understanding thus far, but unsure where Clark was bringing the conversation.  “Two such warriors set out seeking the former, but if they still live, give them these wooden stakes to achieve the latter.”

She accepted the wooden stakes.  “You want me to kill honest Mathosians?” She shook her head in disbelief.  “I don’t know if I can do it.”

“No, Anneleigh.”  Clark said firmly.  “If they are true to the Order, they will accept this offering as salvation for their soul, take it, and use it upon themselves.  If they will not, they will have forsaken the Order and are no longer worthy of your mercy.”

“I....”Anneleigh hesitated.  “I understand.”

“There is one more thing, Anneleigh, and this will be a test of your courage.  We have learned the Endless Court executed Burlingham’s mayor and installed Lillithiara – a vampire – in his stead!  Slaying a vampire is no easy task, but we have a spell to disguise you as a thrall and poison your blood.  Once Lillithiara has fed upon you, she’ll be the one poisoned.”

“You want me intentionally bitten?”

“Yes,” said Clarke.  “Be careful though.  Too eager and she will smell a trap.  “Her wrath will be great once she realizes she has been tricked, but the poison will soften her considerably.”

Anneleigh placed the stakes in her belt and the potion in her pocket.  Clarke gave her ways of identifying the men and told her of places to look. 

“They may be turned and among the other immortal.” He said as he walked her to the edge of town, “but if they are holding their oaths, they will more likely be hidden.

Anneleigh studied the landscape of the village of Burlingham and discovered many of the homes were bordered by small alleys.  It was in one of these alleys she found Dravko Skeda, identifiable by the family shield he still carried.

He seemed to watch her approach.  When she was near enough to speak, he said “The Order of Mathos must have sent you.”

Anneleigh nodded.

“But why?”

“Are you prepared for death?” Anneleigh said as she removed one of the stakes from her belt and held it out to him in her open palm.

“So, the brothers of my order feel I have outlived my usefulness.”

“No, but I was sent.....” Anneleigh tried, but he continued, talking over her.

“They wish to dictate the terms of my death?  I say no!  I will choose whether I wish to die.... Or live forever!”

“Anneleigh leaped forward as Skeda lunged.  She held the stake outward to protect herself and he fell on the point.”

She left the stake where it landed and made sure he was dead before moving on to find Lev Nevok.  After searching all of the alleyways, she was surprised to find him sitting against the side of a house on the outskirts of town, looking out into the openness of Stillmoor.

“You’re not one of the undead.” He said as she approached, in quite a different tone than Skeda.  “The Order of Mathos must have sent you.”

“They have.  Are you prepared for death?” she asked him.

“Yes, quick, give me the stake.  I feel the curse taking control.”

Anneleigh paused for a moment, considering.

“Hurry!”  he shouted.

“Would you be willing to delay your death in order to rid Vamprisim from this village?”  She asked.  “I am not afraid, and will do it myself if you say no, but I would have you take this honor and be remembered.”

Anneleigh quickly told Nevok about the potion Clarke had given her, and the plan to have Lady Burlingham poison herself by her own greed.

Nevok looked at her first with disbelief and then with pride.

“I will do this.  There is a great chance she will kill me if I time things perfectly.  However, she succeeds in killing me before I deliver a death blow....”he pauses.  “...or, if it happens the other way and I am able to finish her before she me, will you promise to kill whoever survives.”

Anneleigh nodded.

“Understand me, mistress.  I mean for you to be the only one walking away from this fight.”

“I understand.” Anneleigh said.

“Then hand me that bottle before I turn and the plot is ruined.”

They walked - Nevok as a thrall and Anneleigh pulsing with life in comparison - to where Lady Burlingham held her rituals.  Anneleigh quickly hid in the shadows of one of the abandoned homes as Nevok approached her.

“My queen, please drink of my life’s blood.”  Anneleigh heard Nevok say to Lillithiara.

“All my servants should be as willing as you to quench my thirst.”

Nevok did a small bow and stepped forward.  She took his wrist and bit deeply.  After she had her fill, she stood, but seemed to stumble.  When he returned to his Mathosian form she startled and fell to the ground.

“You rat!” she spat.  “You have poisoned me!”

“Although I am nearly turned by you and your minions the light of the Vigil still courses through my veins.  Feel it burn you?  That is the feeling of your dragon master revoking your eternal life.”

Lillithiara shrieked as Nevok plunged the stake into her heart.  Weak as she was, she was not able to overpower him.  Once he was sure she was dead, he pulled the stake from her body, turned to Anneleigh, and plunged it into his own.”

When both had become still, Anneleigh approached Nevok’s body and retrieved his family seal and crest of the Order.  With mournful steps, she returned to camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment